Services & Benefits
The healthcare industry in Iowa is a vital sector that requires efficient document management practices to ensure the delivery of high-quality patient care, regulatory compliance, and data security. ADS3 provides secure offsite storage and document scanning services to Iowa’s hospitals, clinics, labs, research facilities, and insurance providers to optimize workflows,
Effective document management practices enable healthcare organizations to streamline operations, improve department collaboration, maintain compliance with privacy laws, and enhance patient confidentiality. The secure offsite storage and document scanning services provided by Advantage Document Scanning and Storage Solutions offer several benefits to the healthcare industry:
- Enhanced Data Security: ADS3’s records management facility employs advanced security measures, such as 24/7 monitoring, stringent access controls, and climate-controlled environments, to protect sensitive patient information from unauthorized access, loss, or damage.
- Regulatory Compliance: Secure offsite storage with Advantage ensures compliance with industry regulations, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), by securely managing patient records and ensuring their accessibility when needed.
- Space Optimization: By securely storing physical records in ADS3’s offsite records center in Cedar Rapids, healthcare organizations in Eastern Iowa can free up valuable space within their facilities for patient care, administrative tasks, and medical equipment.
- Disaster Recovery Preparedness: Storing backup copies of critical healthcare documents in ADS3’s FireLock fireproof vault ensures protection against data loss due to unforeseen events, such as the disastrous floods experienced in 2008 or natural disasters like the derecho of 2020, ensuring continuity of care and business operations.
In Iowa, the healthcare industry manages an incredible volume of patient records, medical charts, insurance claims, and regulatory documents. It is critical the documents are maintained securely and easily accessible to provide accurate diagnoses and efficient treatments and also to comply with industry regulations. Different sectors in the healthcare industry have different driving factors that play a role in when and how they will utilize scanning and offsite storage as part of their document strategy:
- Hospitals: The hospitals in Eastern Iowa digitized patient medical records, including medical histories, test results, and treatment plans, enabling secure access by authorized healthcare professionals and facilitating seamless collaboration. Departments within the hospital each have specific retention requirements, and industry best practices include sending the physical documents offsite for secure storage for the remaining lifespan of the record and secure destruction at the end of the record’s retention period.
- Clinics: Iowa medical clinics scan and index active insurance claim forms, patient consent forms, and billing records, streamlining administrative processes, reducing paperwork, and improving reimbursement cycles. All hardcopy documents that require retention for regulatory purposes are securely stored in a records management center to ensure they are maintained for compliance.
- Labs: Medical laboratories in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Waterloo, and virtually every other city in Eastern Iowa that provides medical services related to testing and diagnostics digitize their reports, laboratory results, and research data, enhancing data accuracy, retrieval efficiency, and enabling remote access for researchers and physicians. As part of the patient record, the physical documents are archived in a records management center for compliance purposes.
- Insurance Provider: An insurance provider in Eastern Iowa will store their records offsite, digitize their documents, or take a hybrid approach that combines secure storage and document scanning to manage their policy documents, claim forms, and provider contracts, improving claims processing, reducing administrative costs, and enhancing customer service.
- Billing Companies: A healthcare billing company in Iowa will store, scan, and index invoices, payment records, and reimbursement documents selectively based on use, access requirements, and compliance purposes. Inactive records that must be retained are stored securely off-site at a records management facility like ADS3, and higher-demand documents are scanned and made digitally accessible, simplifying the billing process and improving revenue cycle management.
- Long-Term Care Facilities: A long-term care facility in Eastern Iowa will often digitize resident records, medication administration charts, and care plans, enabling accurate and timely care delivery and enhancing resident safety.
- Pharmaceutical Companies: Pharmaceutical companies are heavily regulated, and document retention and other compliance regulations dictate how the research documents, clinical trial data, and drug approval records are managed. Secure offsite storage provides the security necessary for regulatory compliance regarding the retention of documents, and digitization facilitates efficient collaboration and reduces time to market for new medications.
- Medical Equipment Companies: A medical equipment supplier in Eastern Iowa will archive purchase orders, warranties, and maintenance logs, streamlining inventory management, service tracking, and warranty claims.
- Home Healthcare: Home healthcare agencies, hospices, and providers of end-of-life care in Iowa give special consideration to the documentation related to each patient and caregiver. The documents archived physically or electronically include medication logs and schedules, patient vitals, and care instructions, ensuring accurate and timely care delivery, reinforcing the wishes and directives of the patient, and improving communication with remote caregivers and family. Most, if not all, records are retained for legal purposes in case of litigation or the need for further review at some point in the future.
Crucial for Success
Efficient document management practices are crucial for the success of almost every sector of Iowa’s healthcare industry. The secure offsite storage and document scanning services offered by ADS3 can play a vital role in ensuring regulatory compliance, improving patient care, and safeguarding sensitive healthcare information. By embracing the best practices of their industry, Eastern Iowa’s healthcare organizations can streamline operations, enhance data security, and focus on delivering exceptional patient care.